Friday, September 28, 2007

Soap Making 101 - 6

How/why I got started making soap.

I began making soap in 1999 in my kitchen. I was a 28 year old stay-at-home mom. With two young children tucked away for naps, I began searching the internet for a creative way to pass the time. I came across a web-site on making your own soap. I cannot remember the site’s name; however, after reading the instructions I knew I had to try it for myself. After gathering all the necessary items for a small, probably, 1 pound batch, I was hooked! I couldn’t believe that I had actually made soap myself, in my own kitchen! WOW! After perfecting my own technique of soap making, I have not bought soap in a grocery store since. Now mind you, I still buy handmade soap from fellow soapers. I have been part of a group from Yahoo: OhioSoapers since 2000, with over 300 members, we get together once a year for a Soap making gathering (convention).

No comments: